I guess I should've said what my use case is:
I want a boot system that unlocks a partition where everything is
checked to prevent an evil maid attack. I can sign / check everything
but the key and the integrity checker. However, someone could replace
gpg with a version that logs to something. I could use some system
like tripwire to check the files but this just moves the vulnerable
component to something else.

Maybe it's possible to use a signed kernel module that does the
integrety checking of the files via a hash that could be compiled into
the kernel?

Again, this is for a boot system. So I'm in initramfs at this point
(shouldn't matter but just thought I'd mention it).