On 2/07/13 03:33 AM, mtm wrote:
as a spartan of sorts, and one thats shared laphroig with both a plank
member of the nsa and the creator of fbi's hrt, id like to say these
fellas are decent men and not petty.

I know a few of the older ones as well. They are indeed decent men, and historically their creation gets cut a lot of slack by society.

There are differences between the ones who founded the organisation, the machine they created, the people who make the decisions now, and what the customers demand of them.

Most of the early guys involved had direct knowledge of a serious enemy and more understandable wars. Everyone knew who the enemy was. If you think of the last 2 decades or so, post-Berlin Wall, you can see a huge change in perspective.

Today, you'd be hard pressed to even justify even starting the NSA if you had a discussion of who the enemy is; our geopolitical threat scenario is more like the 1920s.

Also, as we learnt from recent banking history, it only takes a few deviations to drift into crisis when power is large and concentrated.

iang

On Jul 2, 2013 12:55 AM, "Jeffrey Walton" <noloa...@gmail.com
<mailto:noloa...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    <mailto:grarp...@gmail.com>> wrote:
     >>> And when LEA
     >>> get caught doing this nothing terribly bad happens to LEA (no
    officers
     >>> go to prison, for example).
     >>
     >> It is often in the interest/whim of the executive to decline to
     >> prosecute its own,
     >> even if only to save embarassment, so many of these cases will
    never see a jury.
     >> That's why you need citizen prosecutors who can bring cases
    before both grand
     >> and final jury. For example, how many times have you seen a LE
    vehicle failing
     >> to signal, speeding/reckless, with broken running lights, etc... now
     >> try to criminally
     >> (not administratively) prosecute that just as you might be
    prosecuted for same.

     > I'd love to see proposals for how to criminal prosecutions by the
     > public would work.
    Sparta, one of the first democracies, would put the public officials
    on trial at the end of their term. It was part of the process.

    I imagine their Spartan was sufficiently different so that folks like
    Ted Kennedy (liar, cheat, murderer) would not have been able to serve
    the class.

    Sorry for the OT chatter.

    Jeff