On 7/19/2013 3:26 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
The rpi's HW RNG is almost certainly better than many /dev/*random
implementations running as VM guests.  How much real business is
getting transacted on VMs nowadays?  Probably a lot.

This probably sounds like a plug for my employer, which it isn't, but the RdRand instruction was done the way it was done to punch through the VM and deliver random numbers directly to the running application, bypassing all those layers of software. Unfortunately VMs came first, so there's an entropy gap on servers that should be addressed. You still trust the VM not to meddle with it, but if you don't trust the VM, you have bigger problems.

I have no reason to doubt the rpi's RNG (I have a clue about its circuit structure) but I also know that if it matters, you should probably do some testing of the random numbers before you trust the source, because no one else is testing it for you.