I added a comment on your Stack Overflow post (incorrectly closed, IMHO,
but the SO crowd can be prickly).

The right thing to do depends on knowing a couple more details:
 1. Where are you getting your certificates?
 2. What's the best way to name the servers you trust?

Since you have a proprietary protocol, the easiest thing to do is make sure
the cert chains up to a root you trust (ideally not system-installed roots,
because nobody knows how deep the sewage flows there—the only exception
would be if you want to delegate trust issues to a user of your software
who might be expected to manage their own trustpoints using system
configuration tools, but that gives me the willies). Then make sure the
name on the cert matches the name of who you think you're communicating
with (could be DNS name, or some other identification of the entity); if
you may want to use SSL libraries which check certs and which are designed
for HTTPS, you probably want to use the DNS name.

I don't know enough about JSSE-specific implementation to be able to give
you a precise answer.

 - Tim