On 2013-08-14 2:25 AM, Ben Lincoln (F70C92E3) wrote:
On Tue, August 13, 2013 6:25 am, John Levine wrote:

I agree that it was not a great idea for Paypal to invent
paypal-communication.com rather than a subdomain of one of their
existing well-known domains such as communication.paypal.com.
Using a different second-level domain is generally a security and/or
bandwidth-optimization technique.

It means that cookies for paypal.com aren't sent by the browser with every
request to paypal-communication.com. This can provide huge inbound
bandwidth reduction, depending on how cookie-heavy PayPal is.

Although websites often use huge numbers of huge cookies, one can easily optimize one's cookie use. I can see no reason why anyone would ever need more than a single 96 bit cookie that is a random number.