On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:47:09AM +1000, James A. Donald wrote:
> On 2013-08-14 6:10 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> >  - it's really not easy to defeat the PRISMs.  the problem is
> >*political* more than technological.
>
> For a human to read all communications would be an impossible burden.

We're rapidly approaching that point where judge, jury and
executioner are completely automated. As such neither scaling issues
of Stasi (at some point some half of the population were informants)
nor quis custodiet are a problem.

> Instead, apply the following algorithm.  Identify people of
> interest.  Read communications between persons of interest.  If
> several people of interest talk to Bob, then Bob may well also a
> person of interest. /Then/ read their communications.  If
> significant, add Bob to the list of people of interest.

IIRC there's already collection on three degrees of separation
in place, and that is already a fair fraction of the global
population so at least part of the judging is already automated.

> Looking at communication patterns, Identify the more central nodes
> among people of interest.  Make a special effort to crack the
> communications of the most central nodes.
>
> The technological counter to this is the cypherpunks remailers,
> which are unfortunately user hostile, especially when used with a
> permanent identity.

How badly bitrotted is the codebase? With the current threat model
it looks like high-latency anonymous networks could well use a
revival.