On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 12:30:40 +0300
ianG <i...@iang.org> wrote:

> This was always known as the weakness of the model.  The operator
> could simply replace the applet that was downloaded in every instance
> with one that had other more nefarious capabilities.  There were
> thoughts and discussions about how to avoid that, but a simple, mass
> market solution was never found to my knowledge [0] which rendered
> the discussions moot.
>
> I don't think the company ever sought to hide that vulnerability.
>
> Also, that vulnerability was rather esoteric as it required quite
> serious levels of cooperation.  So the bar was still high.

I am not sure I see how serious levels of cooperation would be
required.  Adding a backdoor to the Java applet that forwards a
passphrase or secret key to Hushmail does not sound terribly hard to
do (it sounds like less than 10 lines of code).  It sounds like
something that would almost certainly be done if the company ever
decided to build a "lawful interception" system.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin R Kreuter
UVA Computer Science

--

"If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there
will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public