On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM, ianG <i...@iang.org> wrote:
> On 30/08/13 01:26 AM, zooko wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 09:18:33PM +0300, ianG wrote:

>> I don't know. I asked a lawyer a few days ago -- a person who is, as far
>> as I
>> can tell, one of the leading experts in this field. Their answer was that
>> nobody knows.
>
> That is how they like it.  In such an environment, they can exert a lot of
> pressure.
>
> But to come to the crunch -- is there *any* evidence that they have ever
> ordered the backdooring of some software system?  Or does it all come down
> to 'an accommodation' ?  I've heard of many of the latter, none of the
> former.
There's usually no need to order because there's an unholy partnership
among the four branches of US government.

What did Hushmail do? Did it willing accommodate a request, or was it
ordered to install the backdoor? Here, I would view "creating and
distributing" the applet as the backdoor. Was it done so voluntarily
or under legal coercion.

Jeff