On 1/10/13 11:56 AM, ianG wrote:
On 1/10/13 05:00 AM, d...@geer.org wrote:

  >Well clearly passwords are bad and near the end of their life-time
with
  >GPU advances, and even amplified password authenticated key
exchanges like
  >EKE have a (so far) unavoidable design requirement to have the server
  >store something offline grindable, which could be key stretched,
but thats
  >it.  PBKDF2 + current GPU or ASIC farms = game over for passwords.

Before discarding passwords as yesterday's fish, glance at this:

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/09/the-unexpected-result-of-fingerprint-authentication-that-you-cant-take-the-fifth

I think the takeaway from this password debate (for me) is that any
requirements listed for a TLS2 should be something like:

"Integrates well with current and future authentication methods."

(and leave the contenders to duke it out...)

Which leaves open the question (in my mind) as to whether to require this:

"Both end points must authenticate each other."

iang