On Oct 2, 2013, at 10:43 , Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 10/2/13 10:38 AM, danimoth wrote:
>> On 02/10/13 at 08:51am, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> There is widespread belief that compressing before encrypting
>>> makes cryptanalysis harder, so compression is assumed to be
>>> beneficial.
>>

>> Any academic references?
>>
>> Without these, IMHO your sentence is false.
>
> Since when are academic references needed to assert that something is
> widely believed? ;-)

The redundancy of the plaintext contributes to the unicity distance of the
cipher. Compression reduces redundancy. Therefore, the unicity distance for
compressed plaintext (that is, the amount of cipher text required before a
unique key can be determined by brute force) must increase. Now, this is only
one kind of attack, but it is an attack that is made more difficult by
compression. Practically, I don't think this is much of an argument for
compression, but it's more than just "a widespread belief"; there is theory
behind it.

Greg.