Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2013, 12:00:50 schrieb coderman:

Hi coderman,

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Stephan Mueller <smuel...@chronox.de>
wrote:
> > The way haveged is implemented, not really. The reason is that it uses
> > clock_gettime, which uses the Linux kernel clocksource framework. That
> > framework has drivers for a number of different timers on various
> > architectures.
>
> do you know if the list of supported clock sources is documented
somewhere?

Yes, it is documented. Check the contents of
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource and
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource.

Note, current_clocksource is also writable where you can switch the used
clocksource.

> > ... you cannot verify
> > entropy beyond simple pattern checks. Moreover, compression (i.e.
> > whitening) is not meaningful when mixing it into /dev/random as it has
its
> > own whitening function.
>
> simple checks (sanity checks) are useful.

I fully agree to have simple sanity checks. Though I would not call them
checks for entropy.

Ciao
Stephan
--