We’re getting a lot of feedback that this isn’t clear, and we’ll make sure
it is clarified. Also, it’s not clear that this grant is meant to be
irrevocable; we’ll fix that too.

William

*From:* William Whyte [mailto:wwh...@securityinnovation.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:40 PM
*To:* Lars Luthman
*Cc:* Crypto discussion list
*Subject:* Re: [cryptography] ntru-crypto - Open Source NTRU Public Key
Cryptography Algorithm and Reference Code

It's meant to be 2 and later. Sorry if this isn't clear, we'll revise the
license text.

William

- sent from my phone

On Nov 27, 2013 6:28 PM, "Lars Luthman" <m...@larsluthman.net> wrote:

So the news is that it can be used for GPL software without patent
issues? If so that's nice, but the various documents are a bit
confusing:

https://github.com/NTRUOpenSourceProject/ntru-crypto
> Is NTRU Patented?
> Yes. The patents will still be enforced but may be used under the
> GPL, i.e. under the condition that any work that uses them is also
> made available under the GPL. The patents and the code
> implementations are also available under standard commercial terms.

Great!

https://github.com/NTRUOpenSourceProject/ntru-crypto/blob/master/PATENTS.md
> GPL
> NTRU cryptographic patents may be used as long as the user adheres to
> version two (2) of the GPL License. For details please refer to
> COPYING-2.txt included in this distribution.
>
> The GPLv2 license may also be found on the gnu.org website at:
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html)

...but only GPLv2?

https://github.com/NTRUOpenSourceProject/ntru-crypto/blob/master/COPYRIGHT.md
> Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Security Innovation
>
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
> your option) any later version.

And here it says GPLv2 or any later version, which includes GPLv3, which
has the text about automatic patent licensing. Both GPLv2 and GPLv3 are
included in the repository as COPYING-2.txt and COPYING-3.txt, and the
source files have copyright notices that say GPLv2 or later.

Does anyone know which it is? GPLv2 or later, or just GPLv2?

--ll