(Sorry to top post - I want to cherry pick one point).

>> What is a game changer is the relationship between the NSA and the other
>> USA civilian agencies.  The breach of the civil/military line is the one
>> thing that has sent the fear level rocketing sky high,
Information sharing among agencies such as the FBI and CIA was written
into the original NSA charter back in the 1950s. In fact, some would
argue the failure to abide by the charter with respect to information
sharing contributed to 9/11.

>From the charter (http://w2.eff.org/Privacy/Key_escrow/Clipper/nsa.charter):

b.  The  Board  shall  be  composed  of  the  following
    members:
     (1) The  Director  of  Central Intelligence,  who shall be
         the Chairman of the Board.
     (2) A representative of the Secretary of State.
     (3) A representative of the Secretary of Defense
     (4) A representative of the Director of the Federal
         Bureau of Investigation.
     (5) The Director of the National Security Agency.
     (6) A representative of the Department of the Army.
     (7) A representative of the Department of the Navy.
     (8) A representative of the Department of the Air Force.
     (9) A representative of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Jeff