On 2014-04-09 00:48, Nico Williams wrote:
On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 11:02:50PM -0700, Edwin Chu wrote:
I am not openssl expert and here is just my observation.
[...]

Thanks for this analysis.

Sadly, a variable-sized heartbeat payload was probably necessary, at
least for the DTLS case: for PMTU discovery.

Once more, a lack of an IDL, standard encoding, and tools, has hurt us.
Hand-coded parsers/encoders are disasters waiting to happen.

Is there an existing idl for messages such that interface descriptions that can be compiled into parsers and encoders?

(microsoft's idl is inherently function oriented, rather than message oriented, leading to disastrous results when they somehow stretched it for message passing environments)