we have always had crypto.
sign language. secret handshakes. letter and symbol codes. lingua franca. specialized vocabularies.
three yellow flags for vegan restaurants.
certain types of architecture indicating members of religions/beliefs and safety for slaves. if you think of it on a macro level, crypto is just a kind of advanced language or alphabet you don't know yet.