Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:

Indeed, but it is important to remember just how thickheaded the anti-crypto effort of the '80s and '90s was and how much damage it did.
As a footnote to those times, 2 ** 40 is 1,099,511,627,776. My PC can do 3,400,000 DES encryptions per second (according to openssl). I believe DES key setup is around the same cost as one encryption, so we should halve this if a different key is being used each time. Brute force of a 40-bit DES key will therefore take about a week. In other words 40-bit DES encryption is virtually useless, as brute force would be available to anyone with a modern PC.

--
Pete