On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 12:42:18 PM UTC-4 Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-4 Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>

>> On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 6:21:45 AM UTC-4 tog...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Any update?
>>
>> I haven't had time to loop back to it (yet).

OK, so there was a couple of problems.

First, the sed was having trouble. I was using GNU extensions and not Posix
sed. Problems could surface on platforms like OS X, BSDs and Solaris. OS X
happened to be the first one to expose it. I'm not sure why the problem did
not surface sooner.

We can sidestep the sed problems with perl. Commands like `perl -pe
's/\n//g;' rsa-pub.pem > rsa-eol-cr.pem` works as expected.

Second, OpenSSL was not using CRLF as the end-of-line on OS X. This was a
painpoint because we depend on OpenSSL to use CRLF. Then, we build test
cases by tampering with keys, like removing CR's, removing LF's, removing
characters in the encapsulated header, etc.

unix2dos and mac2dos can usually be used to fix the problem, but it was not
available on two of my Macs and was not available Travis machines. We can
figure out ways to install it, but that's a pain in the ass.

We can sidestep the OpenSSL problem with pem_eol.cxx. pem_eol.cxx does what
unix2dos and mac2dos do without the need for a package manager. Also see
https://github.com/noloader/cryptopp-pem/blob/master/pem_eol.cxx .

I will be able to move to the SSH gear soon.

Jeff