Jim Sager wrote:
> I copied a.o and a.h to CS/apps/tutorial/simpmap directory
> What did I do wrong?

Jam has no idea that you want to link with a.o. It only links the .o
files in out/ corresponding to the .cpp files in apps/tutorial/simpmap,
and any libraries specified by the app's Jamfile. And apps/ is for
source code only, not binary files. The proper way to do this specific
example is to put a.cpp into apps/tutorial/simpmap.

> I want to port in code from another library into Simpmap, but I am
> starting with the easiest case, and it failed on me.

What other library?

Someone who knows jam better than me can tell you the proper way to link
with an external library.