-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marten
Svanfeldt (dev)
Sent: reede, 30. november 2007 20:41
To: crystal-main@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [CsMain] using terrain2 ... help needed

Hi,

Hopefully some answers follow

Quoting Tahir Javed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> After reading the complete details in the manual and looking through the
xml
> in terraini sample, I still have a few questions as follows:
>
> 1. Do I understand correctly that the 'gridsize' of each 'cell' would
> basically always be the same as the x,y size of the height-map? So if your
> height-map for that cell is 64x64 then the grid-size would also be 64x64
and
> if height-map is 128x128 then grid would also be 128x128 and so on ?

Not necessarily, but often, yes. There could be situations where you
would like to have them different (in which case CS will
rescale/resample the heightmap).

> 2. The 'position' of a cell is defined relative to the center of the
entire
> terrain mesh. This is fine for terrains with 2x2 or 4x4 cells. But what if
> we have a 3x3, meaning a total of 9 cells? There is no 'center' as such
> unless we count from the 4 corners of the cell that is in the middle. Same
> would be the case with any odd-number x odd-number grid.

The position is relative to 0,0,0 in modelspace, not to the centroid,
so it doesn't matter how many cells you have (the cells are not
"recentered", so for 9 cells you could either have offsets of 0,
width, 2*width or -with, 0, width, or any other scheme (and same for
height). You could also place one cell at 0,0 and one at 32, 14
independent of number of cells and cell size etc, its totally
flexible. They don't technically have to be connected or line up.

> 3. <maxloadedcells> defines the maximum cells to pre-load. But if
> <maxloadedcells> is 20 what does it exectly mean? 20 cells in which
> direction or what grid format? No grid size would total up to 20 cells.
(4x4
> = 16) (5x5 = 25)
It is the number of loaded cells in any direction. Normally the view
frustum is covers about 100ish degrees FOV, so most of them would be
in front of you ;)

-Marten

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]