Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that I just commited the ragdoll plugin to CS.
It took me more time than expected to implement it as I decided to first
rewrite the Bullet plugin and to develop some visual debug tools.

The ragdoll plugin is based on the animesh. It uses what I called the
'bodymesh", ie the physical description of the animesh skeleton. This
bodymesh can be used for other controllers than the ragdoll one, eg for
inverse kinematic.

To see the ragdoll plugin in action, you have to launch 'phystut
-phys_engine=bullet' then press 'r', it will spawn a frankie's ragdoll.
You need to have bullet (2.75 recommended) installed on your machine in
order for it to work.

This limitation to Bullet is due to the fact that the frankie ragdoll I
made uses cylinders and that the ODE plugin seems to have some problems
with that, otherwise it should work with both systems.

In the future however, I intend to add support for kinematic bodies, ie
bodies that are controlled by the animation system but do interact with
the physical simulation. Bullet do support natively kinematic bodies but
this is not the case with ODE.

The ragdoll effect has currently to be used on the whole skeleton of the
animesh. In order to make it work only on subparts of an animesh (eg to
animate hairs or clothes), we will need kinematic objects, so this won't
be possible with ODE.

Another limitation is that I have not yet implemented the loader for the
bodymesh and the ragdoll, so this has to be made currently from code.

A problem you may see is that the frankie's ragdoll is not that stable
and may flicker. This is due to the fact that the physical model has to
be well chosen in order to be stable. And right now the frankie's model
I made is not tweaked at all. This would be more simple to do once the
loaders are written. I also guess that Frankie is not so well suited to
a ragdoll animation because he has a big body with thin limbs.

About the changes on the Bullet plugin, it seems that now the Bullet
plugin works better than the ODE one. It still has some limitations but
it works pretty well.

Regards,
Christian

--
Christian Van Brussel, Research assistant
Communications and Remote Sensing Laboratory

Batiment Stévin,
Place du Levant, 2
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve,
Belgium