On 2/17/2010 11:24 AM, res wrote:
> (I'm not sure, but I think the "3D" kind of seeped into the name when
> the domain crystalspace.org fell to a domain grabber and we had to
> settle for crystalspace3d.org instead ...)

That is indeed what happened and is still the case for crystalspace.org.
As for crystalspace.com, it was held by a person who used to be a
regular contributor to CS but he never responded to (the many) emails
regarding his intentions with regards to the domain. At some point (long
after we became crystalspace3d.{org,com,net}), his ownership of
crystalspace.com lapsed, but it was immediately grabbed by a domain
squatter. Finally, by the time we got serious about having our own
domain, www.crystalspace.net had already been taken for someone's
personal home page and is still so.

-- ES