Hi,

I was going through the GSoC Ideas
page<http://trac.crystalspace3d.org/trac/CS/wiki/SoC%20Ideas>on CS
wiki. I was thinking about working on the improvements in lighter2
module. I am a bit curious about how can lighter2 take advantage of
multi-threading.Though I was able to figure out that how can photon mapping
take advantage of multiple processors, which is yet to be incorporated, but
I was not able to figure out how can one take advantage of multiple cores
with the current lighting model.

I went through the
documentation<http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/lighter2-User_0027s-Manual.html>of
lighter2 but it discusses about how one can use lighter2 in lightmap
mode
as well as the vertex mode. But, I am more interested in the basic concepts
used for calculate lighting, so that I can explore that how/which tasks can
be paralleled. I also tried to digg into the code but couldn't make out much
from it, regarding the bigger picture of how things have been integrated. It
would be great if someone could help with understanding the internal working
of lighter2.

Also, is there a difference between how can the code be optimized to explore
multi-cores and multiple processors. I am not sure but I guess
multi-threading is the way to go, for taking advantage of multi-cores or
multiple processors.

Regards,
Mohit Taneja