Hi Christian,
I'm familiar with SSDO for some time (someone on this list showed me that paper
when I proposed SSAO last year).
What I suggested is a slightly 'rounder' solution to the GI problem, as it
covers a greater range of phenomena(like
area lights or glossy reflections). Plus, the two techniques are somewhat
complementary(SSAO/SSDO deal with
high frequency illumination, while LPV work well with lower frequency lighting
conditions). CryEngine, for example
uses SSAO _and_ LPV. And from the tests I've seen(though not necessarily
relevant to CS), LPV is faster than adding
one bounce indirect illumination to SSDO.
Thanks a lot for the insight.
Andrei