Hi all,

I got a great email today asking how to search the CS tree and avoid the
'.svn' directories and all that data contained within.

I personally on GNU Linux use 'grep' and 'egrep' with the poorly
documented '--exclude-dir' switch. This I combine with a pipe and 'sort'
to get a fairly clean alphabetical output.

Example:

  grep --exclude-dir .svn -r -l "csMax" ./ | sort

The above when executed from your CS root directory. Will do a recursive
search and output all file names (with path) which have the search term
'csMax' in. Using the pipe and 'sort' the output will be nicely
formatted in alphabetical order.

If you wished to simply search for two strings, for example files that
contain 'csMin' or 'csMax', you can use 'egrep'.

Example:

  egrep --exclude-dir .svn -r -l "csMin|csMax" ./ | sort

You can add more search strings e.g. "csMin|csMax|csLerp|whatever", but
your output will grow accordingly. :-)

Others may use alternate ways of doing this. Any other tips for new devs
will be appreciated. Some of these we can always add to the CS docs as a
cheat sheet.

Regards

Phil