I've been asked by one student about the courses I'll be
teaching next year.  As well as 119 in the fall, offered as
a distance course again, I'll be teaching a new version
of 258, which has been off the books for a few years.
Here is the course description.

This course will not be offered as a distance course.

- jeff parker

This course examines the network protocols that form the core of the
Internet.  Students will study Internet protocols, build network
services, and analyze network traffic using a packet capture facility
to observe protocols in action.  Students will write a project
implementing a client-server or peer-to-peer application of their
design.

The protocols covered in lecture and laboratory include DHCP, NFS,
HTTP, TCP modifications for high performance, and routing protocols,
such as RIP, OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP.

Prerequisite: CSCI E-119 or equivalent.