Jonathan Duncan schrieb:
... However, in the HTML they have two lists.
The list items have identities.  They want to take two list items out
of one list (using only the CSS) and have those items be a part of
the other list. ...

... in the HTML, the lists will not be changed, but using
the stylesheet they want me to take list items and visually make them
appear to be a part of the other list.

When each list item has an id, you can address each individuum. Not just the two in question. You must de-construct both lists and arrange them absolutely. By defining the same r.p. containing block for both the lists, you could offset the list entries relatively with respect to this block.

div
 A-B-C-D-E
 1-2-3

div#cb
 A D E
 1 B C 2 3

That's a theoretical answer to a theoretical question. You know, one
line of html isn't /enough/

Practically, I would say this is non-sense. Some well known software might have been developed with such patches this way to its current nearly unfixable layout.

Why should 1 B C 2 3 make sense now? Because A-B-C-D-E did not make much sense. Give them an answer they are paying for:
"No, but I can change the HTML instead without doing any harm to it, but for better semantic".

Ingo