To: <css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 10:10 AM
Subject: [css-d] Site check: right box below left box

I'm converting from table layout to CSS layout using a real simple two column
layout, with header and footer. After fiddling for several hours, I think I
have it, but there are some issues.

Here is the test page:

http://utahrails.net/two-col-sample.htm

Nothing fancy; just plain header, menu, content, and footer style, so as to not
distract from the content itself. It will be broken up into various php header,
footer, and content files when I get it working properly.

The page validates as both good CSS and good XHTML. The styles are embedded.

The problem is getting the two boxes to sit side by each. What am I doing wrong?

Also, the text in the footer in FF is not quite vertically centered.

I've searched the web using varying combinations of search words, and although I
have read numerous interesting articles, none seems to address these issues.
(One nice hack I found was the dark gray simulated HR.)

It is likely some conflicting margins and/or padding, and although I have read
several articles, I still don't understand enough about the CSS box model.

Thanks in advance.

Don Strack
http://utahrails.net