Kelly Miller wrote:
You know, there IS a way to clear floats without an extra div element.

Chris Ovenden wrote:
another is the detritus that floats usually produce -
unneccessay, semantic-free clearing elements. Can't help feeling,
though, that there must be a better way than both.

And that way would BE...

<http://www.positioniseverything.net/easyclearing.html>

Aside from that issue, I prefer floats because in my experience they are more predictable across browsers. There are instances where floating can't help me "stack" content on the screen the way I want and in those cases I fall back on absolute positioning, but over all I find floats to be much more forgiving and easier to work with.

--
Best regards,
Michael Wilson