I have been experimenting with the conversion of a site from tables to
css. I think the original was designed in Dreamweaver and is a mass of
table cells, most of which are empty just for layout. I wanted to see if
I could produce the same layout using only css and produce cleaner code.

The original ; www.dunmaglass.com
My effort : www.integrawebdesign/dunmaglass/dunmaglass.html
Css : www.integrawebdesign.co.uk/dunmaglass/dunmagla.css
        www.integrawebdesign.co.uk/dunmaglass/layout.css

I think I have succeeded fairly well with standards compliant browsers,
ie Opera 7.54 and Firefox 1.0. I am unable to check in WinIE as I don't
run Windows (MandrakeLinux). I have checked in Mac IE5.5 and there are
problems.

In Opera/Firefox I am not totally happy with the horizontal navigation _
I have not been able to get the spacing/layout completely right. It
seems to be an issue of link widths and font size. I have to set the
width in two rules - '#navlist li a' and the individual a tags
(#nav1-#nav4) - and both seem to be necessary. But the nav bar doesn't
completely fill the width. It's not a major issue as I could live with
it 'as is'. The 3 columns also don't reach an equal height but I haven't
really addressed that and it is not too bad.

In MacIE there is a problem with column widths - rightcol is pushed down
below the centre col. Possibly a 'box model' issue? Also the second para
of the content doesn't seem to obey the font rules and is too large.

Any comments would be welcomed particularly on rendering in IE5 or 6 and
other browsers. Overall I think I achieved my objective, which was to
show the benefits of css design and standards compliance.

TIA
Mike Davies

--
Mike Davies