Mark Marlow wrote:

Thank you very much for your help.  I tried your suggestion and achieved the
desired results.

Excellent. Glad I could help.

My less than expert understanding of accessability has lead me to
believe that information which is linear in nature (like name, address,
phone, DOB...) should not be presented in a table unless it was a repeating
list of like information.

I was unclear about the design of your site. I had thought this was a repeating list (i.e. more than one name and address), and that you had just included a single iteration in your sample code as a matter of convenience. If it is just a single list, then I would be inclined to try to mark it up as a list instead of divs and spans. I would personally want to use a definition list for those label/content pairs, although some would say that is not an appropriate use of a definition list. (Hi, Jukka!) Having said that, I don't think use of a table here would be clearly incorrect, either, nor would it impose a major accessibility barrier, so far as I'm aware, even if it might not be an accessibility "best practice" (I'm no expert on that, either).

However, it will be very difficult to achieve the multi-column look you are going for with just a single list, since you can't insert any markup into the list itself to group the columns. You could split the columns into two lists, if you were so inclined, I suppose, or restructure the source order and assign classes for each "row" to fake the columns. But if you can't be a purist anyway, I don't see a compelling reason to change what you have.

If you have a particular affinity for one choice over another and want to know how to style it to achieve the effect you need, let us know. Otherwise, the precise markup is largely a matter of personal choice.

Good luck,
--

-Adam Kuehn