I created a CSS file with several rules of this form:

.classname { background: #cecece /*color1*/; }

The idea behind this is to label the colors with a comment, so that later I
can replace one color with another (so I can play with color schemes).  I
added the tag so that if I decide to set two different "colors" to the same
physical color, I can change them to separate colors later.

Unfortunately, IE 5.5 chokes on this, and does not display any background
color, so I removed it.

Does anyone label their colors using this or some other scheme?  Or is
there a better way to do it?

One other thought comes to mind:  combining classes, like this:
markup:  <div class="div1 color1">
css:
 .div1 { height: 30px; width: 20px; }
.color1 { background: green; }

but I don't like that because now some of the layout (the color) is being
specified in the markup