David Balch wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not valid XHTML as <p> isn't allowed inside <ol>.

For a moment I thought there was an easy solution when I was looking for a
difficult one ;-)

I've used the following on several occasions without issue or a guilty conscience:

http://www.iqmax.com/downloads/mike/css-examples/list-item-notes/

Conceptually one doesn't find paragraphs in lists - only list-items.
One could argue that something that isn't a list-item within a list
should be treated as if it weren't in the list, regards formatting at
least.

In contrast, one argument in favor of block-level content within list items may be that just because something is a list item doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't warrant further elaboration or structure. A complex set of step-by-step instructions, for example, may require more than a few words wrapped in <li> to properly convey meaning. I believe this is the reason the spec allows for block level content within list items.

If the content in question isn't an integral part of a list item, then it should be placed outside the list; perhaps before as an introduction or after as a footnote.

At the end of the day, I don't think you will be committing semantic hara-kiri by using this method to structure your list.

Best regards,
Michael Wilson