Hi Rowan

It's not really a list item. The list (steps in my routine) is interrupted
by something (the cat) - the cat isn't part of the routine...

> or it's a paragraph which splits two separate lists.

...and the routine certainly is one list, not two.

> Either way, is
> looks like the 'value' attribute can be used to achieve what
> you're looking for visually. For the second option:
<snip>
> <ol>
> <li value="4">Check the post.</li>
> <li>Eat some breakfast.</li>
> </ol>

Unfortunately for me, the 'value' attribute is depreciated [VALUE], and
unavailable in XHTML1.1 :-(

Incidentally, I apologise if my replies to everyone's suggestions seem
harsh. I'm trying to find the "proper" way to deal with this - for semantics
as well as W3C reccomendations. If there's nothing the specs (full and
draft) to support this, I think the W3C will need to add a way...

Thanks for you suggestion.

[VALUE] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html#adef-value-LI

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Balch.          | Web developer.
T: +44 (0)1865 280979 | Technology-Assisted Lifelong Learning.

TALL, OUDCE and the University of Oxford accept no legal responsibility for
the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are only those
of the author and not those of TALL, or OUDCE, or the University of Oxford.
If this email has come to you in error please delete it and any attachments