To: <ElektonikaMail>
Cc: "Michael Palmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [css-d] Strange behaviour in Mac browsers

On 25 May 2005, at 3:57 pm, Michael Palmer wrote:

http://www.stroke7.com/hayleysparks/sample.htm
css: http://www.stroke7.com/hayleysparks/s.css

It's a different story on Mac with IE and Safari. Both are reacting differently (and badly) to the menu / rollover.

In Safari, one of the menu items won't come up, specifically the "Location" button. In IE, the buttons turn white upon rollover. That's really bizarre. There aren't any blocks in the button graphics, so that's really confusing.

IE Mac 5.2 appears to behave correctly on my PowerBook.
Safari 1.3 works as expected.

But I can see a problem in your stylesheet that will affect Safari 1.2 and older: You are mixing keywords and <lenght> numeric values to position background images.
#menu #loc {left: 287px; width: 92px; background: transparent url(buttons.gif) left 2px no-repeat;}

If you change that to .... 0 2px no-repeat, it should work correctly.
Safari doesn't really like the mixing of keywords, and <lenght> values.
Although this is allowed in CSS 2.1 CR, it was not allowed in the CSS 2.0 Rec.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/>