Sure!
It's all a little overwelming in the beginning, I know.

However, just start with the first and most important question: what
do you want to achieve?
Basicly, there are 3 options:
1) fixed width: give the containers a certain width in px. say, 750px
container, 250px leftcol, 500px maincol. Enough examples for this, for
example www.alistapart.com (also many, many excellent articles!)
2) fluid width: give everything a % width, and % margins. Example: the
excellent demo, also for the float techniques used -
http://www.orderedlist.com/demos/fne/
3) elastic design. in which basically the layout resizes with the
increasing or decreasing text sizes. Must reads:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/elastic/
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200504/fixed_or_fluid_width_elastic/

Further resources: some large linklists, maybe a bit too much but
always handy to know:
http://www.alvit.de/vf/en/essential-bookmarks-for-webdesigners-and-web-developers.html
http://www.skyzyx.com/resources/
http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/main/linkLibrary.php
http://www.andybudd.com/links/cssweb_standards/index.php

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more. It really helps if you specify
your question and what you want to accomplish as specific as possible.

Matthijs