Matthew Velic wrote:
Hello,

Are we trying to push CSS so much that the img element no longer gets
used in xhtml?  The cornerstone to creating a good layout for a site is
built upon semantic markup, using the elements for their correct
purpose.  Yet, I see such a push for  the use of no images directly in
the structure because, in most cases, it is for design purposes only.

In the case of images that are the bulk of the information, such as in
online galleries and portfolios, would those be 'allowable' in the
structural markup?  They can always be styled and repositioned...

I mostly ask for myself since I am trying to rebuild my portfolio, and
just trying to hack all my images through CSS (especially for images
that are going to act as links) is becoming a major pain.  And I realize
that this is probably not the best project to throw myself into learning
'real' CSS layouts and design, but, unfortunately, I don't have any
other projects pending right now, and this is the only thing I can truly
concentrate on.

Well, I was just hoping to gain some of your thoughts on my above queries.

Matt

Also, if you know of a way to do image links purely through CSS, I would
love to here those too.

Here is a sample of what I said. The xhtml has an unnecessary <span> tag before the images, but the hover effects work well.

Kaspars