> do you have a problem structuring the document so the menu code would
> fall where you want it to be positioned on the page?  if so why?
> (rhetorical question)

>From my experience, on handheld devices (like PDAs and cellphones)
having the menu at the top of the page makes it more difficult to get
to the content. This is not as much of a problem on the first page the
viewer sees where the menu may be more useful toward the top of the
content. On subsequent pages, however, content becomes more important
than navigation.

>From what anecdotal evidence I have read, similar issues exist for
visually impaired views who  use screen readers. In that every page
they come to reads out the menu before the content. Again, on the
first page, this is not as much of an issue. On subsequent pages,
however, it is more important (in my opinion) for the content to be
more prominently available.

> in my thinking, you would have a large negative margin on the menu div
> to bring it closer to the top of the page from the bottom of the page
> which would make the positioning of the rest of the elements touchy.

I have thought of this, but since each page will be a different
length, I wasn't sure how I could implement something like this
without JavaScript. Maybe I'll end up having to use a DHTML solution,
but I didn't want to leave out people who have JavaScript disabled. Of
course, the menu would still be available, but I'd still like ti
placed toward the top.

I was hoping their might be a CSS solution I was overlooking.

--
Mr. Kim Siever
http://www.hotpepper.ca/