Roman Rudenko wrote:

> I've been looking for a way to do shrink to wrap block level element
> centering reliably in all modern browsers, including IE. Here is the
> solution I came up with. I have tried it in IE 5 and 6,
> Firefox 1.0.4 and Opera 8 (all under Windows).
>
> Demo page:
> http://24.80.239.218:5190/web/center/arbitrary.html (be gentle,
> residental cable)
[...]

Interesting, I just had a quick look, and it seems to work!
I use a different method [1], which is again a combination of display:table for
good browsers, plus some display:inline-block and a couple of hacks for IE (Win
& Mac.) It's always useful to have alternatives. (Of course this is one of
those things where at the moment a table is probably the most practical
solution, if one wants to be sure to avoid problems and complications...)

[1] http://www.brunildo.org/test/shrink_center_3.html