Argh! I've been beating my head against this.

HTML: http://www.plano.lib.il.us/testing/work.html (includes a link to the CSS)
CSS: http://www.plano.lib.il.us/testing/test.css

Main goals:
1) image should fit around text in completely liquid display /
changing width of browser should be a liquid display (background
images exist for right, left, top-left, top-right, bottom,
bottom-left, and bottom-right)
2) menu should be fixed
3) 2nd level of menu should display only whilst hovering over parent in menu
4) hovering over menu item should create 'button depressed' appearance

BACKGROUND IMAGES
In Firefox/Win (1.04) this test page works as planned.

In Opera/WIn (8.01 and 7.54), most of the background images do not
display (see Firefox for intended appearance) as intended. In Opera
7.54, the problem is only with the images on the left, but in Opera
8.01 even the right side does not display. Any ideas why?

If there is an easier way of achieving this liquid display within the
images, I'd like to learn of it.

PURE CSS MENU
In Firefox/Win (1.04) this test page works as planned.

In Opera/Win (8.01 and 7.54), the menu works as planned ONLY when the
upper area of the page is displayed. As one begins to scroll down
(narrow the browser display to limit the text to about 100px and
create a vertical scroll bar), the 2nd level items of the menu begin
to fail to display. Far enough down the page, none of the 2nd level
menu items display. This has me really puzzled.

BOTH
Firefox/Linux behaves as Firefox/Win; Opera/Linux behaves as Opera/Win.

I haven't even begun to hack for IE. That's for later.

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions/advice.

--
T. R. Valentine
The only excuse for using IE is ignorance