Okay, it works now, thanks very much for your help. But I don't quite
understand why it works the way it does and I would really appreciate if you
have the time to explain it to me. The whitebg div seems to push the navbar
across to the right, but it doesn't seem to push it over 160 pixels (the
width of the whitebg div).
In the file http://www.biotext.com.au/test0205/columns27.html I set the
whitebg div to a width of 160 pixels but it looks as if there is about 30
pixels space to the left. In the file
http://www.biotext.com.au/test0205/columns29.html I set the width of whitebg
to 220 pixels and there is more but it's not 220 pixels.

Don't know what happened to my doctype, I'm sure I had a proper one in there
at one stage. I've put in the 4.01 transitional - loose dtd, as I am handing
this over to the client for maintenance in an old version of Dreamweaver,
and I'm dubious about the html that will be inserted as content. However I
also tried this with xhtml at
http://www.biotext.com.au/test0205/columns30.html and the space to the left
still doesn't look like 160 pixels.

Thanks,
Maren

>Think you've got it the wrong way around. The green border should start
at the logo, and stretch to the left. The rest is just adjustments to
make it look right.

The following is based on this page:
> http://www.biotext.com.au/test0205/columns_25.html

#topnavbar {position: absolute;
             top: 177px;
             right: 130px;
             height: 48px;
             background-image: url("bar00004.gif");
             background-repeat: repeat-x;
             background-position: right bottom;
             width: 100%;
             z-index: 1;
}
#whitebg {  float: left;
             width: 160px;
             height: 48px;
             background-color: #fff;
}

     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

> Safari, Firefox, Opera, IE6 and IE/Mac seems to be happy with it -
regardless of page-width above 600px.

> regards
        Georg
--