I have been working on an Ajax Widget for my company's intranet to
display the current system status in a little box in the header of
each page. Functionally, it seems to be working fine. Graphically,
however, the box is unpredictable when being inserted into the inline
unordered list, which composes the banner.

I'd like it to appear as an icon, if I could. Rather than explain
what's happening, it would help more to show it to you.

http://home.comcast.net/~welgin/Help_Desk_Index.htm

If you can't see the rendered source output of the JavaScript with
your browser, the relevant generated code looks like this.

<li>
<script language="JavaScript"
src="Help_Desk_Index_files/check_chd_status.js"
type="text/javascript">
</script>
problems. </span>
</li>

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. If you think that the
JavaScript makes it out of the scope of this list, let me know and
I'll drop the topic. However, I firmly believe that this is solely
fixable through CSS.

Thanks,
Wayne