Tim Brown wrote:
Which spec are you talking about? I want to start reading specs.

Sorry, it has been cited here so often, I forgot to consider that a new poster may not know. I was referring to the most current CSS specification, CSS 2.1, available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/>. The specific section addressing the issue you raised is here: <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascade>.

I know CSS (2) fairly well, and I'd like to start learning why some rules behave differently in different browsers.

Well, now that is an entirely different issue. Browser-makers implement what they can, or what they want to, or what they think is needed the most, and the reasons for their choices are often pretty opaque. It is very difficult to divine WHY the browsers do what they do.

A major topic of this list, however, is figuring out how to fix things that work differently across browsers. In other words, we generally address WHAT the browsers do, without trying to tackle the why. So if you hang around with us, you'll be pointed to literally dozens of resources that describe what breaks where and how to fix it, or whether or not a fix is even possible. A great place to start with this aspect is on the list Wiki, which you can find here: <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/>.

HTH,
--

-Adam Kuehn