> I agree with Alan -- it *does* look terrible. The points
> which the bullets are supposed to signify are *much* harder
> to locate with the eye. And the quotation marks sticking out
> into the margin area -- I have *never* seen that in the
> thousands of books, magazines, newspapers, etc. that I've
> read over more than a couple of decades!

I concur, but keep in mind that the art and craft of typesetting goes
back for __centuries__ so a couple of decades is not much of a sample.

If you read through Mark's series of articles, he notes that before
computers came along, this was "correct" typesetting practice.  But, we
don't see this anymore because one application completely changed this
practice: QuarkXPress.  Quark never got this "right" and so after twenty
years of desktop publishing, the norm is to not hang quotation marks of
bullets.

> IMO, CSS does it correctly.

But to get this back on-topic... this is the beauty of CSS: you can
place your quotation marks, bullets, and just about anything anywhere
you choose.