Gary Turner wrote:
Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

Then add this: #contentcontainer {display: table;} ...which will make FF (and other good browsers) expand the container and background properly.

What's the reason for this method working?

The CSS-property 'display: table'(with all its parts) mimics the layout
of a 'real' HTML-table, in that its height[1] will expand with the
content. That's the effect I'm using when I want Moz/FF,Op,Safari to act
as if they understand the proprietary MSIE property we call 'hasLayout'
- as in this case.

"In a visual medium, CSS tables can also be used to achieve specific
layouts. In this case, authors should not use table-related elements in
the document language, but should apply the CSS to the relevant
structural elements to achieve the desired layout." - W3C

CSS-table is a powerful layout-tool, which can make a lot of strange
(x)html structures and CSS-hacks more or less obsolete.

CSS-table isn't working flawless or consistent across browser-land yet -
and IE/win doesn't understand CSS-table at all. Thus it is still very
much a case by case solution that needs a lot of testing.
However, using CSS-table properties beats the use of clearing-elements
and methods like 'overflow:auto/hidden' in many (if not most) cases, IMO.

regards
        Georg

[1]<http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/tables.html#height-layout>
--