tbody, thead, and tfoot give the data more semantics and allow one to operate on logically grouped rows. One CSS application that comes to mind is:

thead th {
    /* style column headers here */
}
tbody th:first-child {
    /* style row headers here */
}

I've found the real advantage of packaging table rows into thead and tbody containers comes when I manipulate table data with ECMAScript (JavaScript) via the DOM. I'm easily able to find the table data (and not headers) by looping through the tr children of the tbody element (s), for example.

- Justin