Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking of another method - especially because the items are not necessarily kept together in their grouping. (The idea is to display a client listing with links of categories down the side - if you hover on a category the client names that match the type of work done then become bold...)

I was thinking of just setting up 6 or 7 duplicate layers for each category (with classes changed on the highlighted items) and show/ hiding layers on link hovers as needed...

It may get too hairy as someone mentioned to keep track of groupings especially when things are not actually grouped together with their corresponding category.