Hello, I'm a relatively experienced HTML coder painfully trying to make a full
transition to CSS and XHTML.  I'm working on a prototype and have much of it
figured out -- but I see some inconsistencies that baffle me.  Forgive me if
these questions have come up recently -- I did a search on "positioning" and
another on "font-weight" and got way too many results to read through.

The site:
http://home.comcast.net/~338312berry/nwsoil/index.html

The CSS:
http://home.comcast.net/~338312berry/nwsoil/screenstyle.css

My questions:
1 - Why does the left nav bar place extra space on its right side in IE (but
not Firefox)?

2 - Is it true that "font-weight" really doesn't show up?  I tried specifying
actual weights, like 450, but it seems to display only regular font up to 500
and "bold" font from 550 upwards.

Thanks in advance,
Nick