> > > On 7/27/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > please have a look here: http://www.haroldauto.com/edit:1:43t243 please
> > > tell me what I must change for the image buttons that are visible in ie to
> > > show up in opera and ff.
> >
> > After running your page through HTML Tidy I was able to read it
> > better. It seems that you are applying width and height to the link,
> > which is an inline tag. Neither width nor height are valid properties
> > for inline elements. You may want to consider actually using images,
> > in the same manner you do for the corners, in order to show users
> > without CSS what they are choosing between.
>
> However the problem persists with the buttons, which are three state images
> and can't be simply displayed with img tag.

If that's the case, you'll either need to change the formatting
context for these items or use properties that are valid for inline
elements.

You might want to use table layout for these. If each item is wrapped
in something, such as

span {
  display: table-cell;
  /* add padding you'd want between radios and button images */
}

You could then make the links block elements, which would properly
interpret width and height. IE doesn't understand table layout on
anything other than tables, but since it interprets width and height
for inline elements while in quirks mode (without a DOCTYPE), that may
not be an issue.

If you want to eventually set up the page in standards mode by adding
a proper doctype, I'm thinking IE won't let you use width and height,
so you may want to float the spans instead of defining them as table
cells. It will be trickier to handle the vertical alignment, but with
some tinkering with negative or positive top margins you should be
able to approximate something for this. Again, this lets you define
the links as block elements.

If this must remain as inline elements, you may want to try replacing
width and height with padding instead. Padding works properly on
inline elements, and since all you are doing is defining space for the
background to appear, not trying to make space for content, this may
work.

It still won't answer how to deal with folks who don't see CSS, but it
hopefully this helps the current issue.

Michael