Jon Trelfa wrote:

I didn't have the <[cdata[ ... ]] around my style element

Ummm....I don't think that's necessary, is it? I never use that an my documents validate just fine...?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think It's optional. That does the equivalent of what <!-- does in Java script--hides the content from older browsers that do not support CSS. Those browsers are pretty much extinct, so it's not completely necessary, but probably still a good idea to use it if you use inline styles. Of course, putting the CSS in an external stylesheet makes '<[cdata[...]] ' completely unnecessary.

Matthew