David Feldman wrote:
I've read a bunch of different techniques for dealing with background- image flicker in IE

Anyway, I've come up with an additional technique that uses the IE AlphaImageLoader filter a {
        background-image: url(/img/some-image.gif);
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader (src='/img/some-image.gif',
            sizingMethod='crop');
}
a:hover {
        background-image: url(/img/some-image-over.gif);
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader (src='/img/some-image-over.gif',
            sizingMethod='crop');
}

Dave, as far as I know, the proprietary filter do apply on elements which have "layout". But the intention of your hack is to stop the flicker, not to draw an additional layer. So I wonder if your method is preventing the flicker on inline-level links without a dimension too?

Thanks,

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html